The Especially for Pets’ Adoption Initiative Program finds permanent, loving homes for homeless pets, as well as raises awareness about the work being done in the rescue community. In six month increments, each Especially for Pets’ store teams up with a local non-profit or rescue organization to educate our customers about the specific organizations, to collect donations, and ultimately to help find homes for pets in their care.
Current partnerships are listed below. You can also visit our stores to check out the Adoption Board and see photographs of the animals available for adoption and/or pick up a copy of their ‘Wish List’. Make a donation to support the organization of your choice in any of our stores and we will see that it is delivered to the non-profit organization.
Acton & Operation Delta Dog
Operation Delta Dog is a non-profit organization with a mission to rescue homeless dogs and train them to work as service dogs for veterans who are suffering from Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and other challenges. Every day, 22 U.S. veterans commit suicide, often suffering from Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). With more and more soldiers returning home each day, these invisible disabilities are on the rise in our Massachusetts communities. Service dogs have proven to be very helpful in alleviating the symptoms of TBI and PTSD, but trained dogs are in short supply, especially in New England. Operation Delta Dog is working to turn the tide by training service dogs for local veterans who are suffering from TBI and PTSD. Best of all, all of their service dogs are rescued from local shelters—the dogs get the homes they need, and the veterans get the help they deserve.
- Especially for Pets gift cards
- Merrick grain-free dry dog food
- Odor-free bully sticks
- Poop bags
- Crates and pads
- Grain-free dog cookies
- Grain-free soft dog treats (for training)
- Durable dog toys
- Nylabones, antlers, all-natural bones
- Nylon buckle collars
- Harnesses (for dogs 40 lbs. and over)
- Water bowls
- Treat bags/pouches (for the human)
- Dog beds
Canton & Forever Home Rescue
The mission of Forever Home Rescue is to find loving forever homes for the dogs they rescue from the southern states where current laws do not favor animal rights. Abandoned, stray, and unwanted dogs are often euthanized after just a three day stay at a shelter, due to lack of room. Many of these dogs are sweet, loving animals. All of their rescued dogs are currently living in a network of foster homes in the South and in New England, being lovingly cared for while they await their forever homes. Since May 2009, they have also take in local dogs through the PILOT program in MA (Pets in Limbo Out There) to help rehome local pets displaced by the current economy.
- Canned dog Food (any brand)
- Puppy and Adult Science Diet dry dog food
- Nylabones and other durable dog toys
- Dog crates (new or used)
Medway & The Sato Project
The Sato Project is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to rescuing abandoned and abused animals from Puerto Rico. They officially started in November 2011 but their work in Puerto Rico began long before. The founder and president, Chrissy Cornet, has been rescuing dogs in Puerto Rico since 2005. The Sato Project continues the amazing efforts started by Ginny Cornett and her group Manos Por Patas, which started operations on Dead Dog Beach in 2007. Ginny and Chrissy worked together for many years. Ginny worked tirelessly to help the dogs of Dead Dog Beach and when her health no longer allowed her to operate Manos Por Patas, Chrissy stepped in. Two years later, Manos Por Patas closed and The Sato Project was born.
- Natural wet dog food
- Dog Treats
- Training treats
- Bully sticks
- Durable dog toys
- Small dog collars
- Airline approved dog kennels (cargo)
- Especially Pet Store gift cards
- Stop & Shop or Roche Brothers gift cards
- Monetary donations to allow them to keep rescuing dogs and puppies, fully vetting and bringing them to the USA.
Newton & The Cat Connection
The Cat Connection is an all-volunteer 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to control the local feral (undomesticated) cat population through Trap-Neuter-Return-Maintain (TNRM) programs and to facilitate the adoption of stray and abandoned cats and kittens into responsible permanent homes through foster care and adoption programs. They house all of their cats in private foster home locations. They are currently working on opening a shelter and need your support in the city of Waltham to make this a reality.
- Dog crates (all sizes, heavy duty)
- Extra large covered litter boxes
- Cat condos
- Cat toys
- Cat litter (Fresh Step or World’s Best)
- Cat beds
- Cat carriers
- Combs and brushes for cats
- Cat food
Sudbury & Baypath Humane Society
Baypath Humane Society of Hopkinton is a Massachusetts-based 501(c)(3) non-profit animal shelter for cats and dogs. As a no-kill shelter, their mission for more than three decades has been to place stray and unwanted animals in loving homes; promote the health, care and adoption of these animals; and educate adopters and the public at large about proper pet care and handling, overpopulation and prevention of animal cruelty. They rely solely on generous contributions from you and our local business community to be able to rehome more than 1,000 dogs and cats each year.
Cats and Kittens
- Science Diet dry food
- Canned cat food
- Cat treats (soft or hard)
- Non-clumping cat litter
- Cat toys
- Pill pockets
- Cat carriers
- Scratching posts
Dogs and Puppies
- Science Diet dry food
- Canned dog food
- Treats: soft treats, pigs ears, and bully sticks
- Pill Pockets
- Kong and puzzle toys
- Dog beds
- Pooper scoopers (metal two-piece type)
- Frontline (for dogs)
- Revolution (for cats)
Wayland & Big Fluffy Dog Rescue
Big Fluffy Dog Rescue is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to helping giant breed mixed breed dogs in need. They value dogs of all breeds, but they specialize in what the name says: big, fluffy dogs. They have volunteers in several states in the South and New England who work to help homeless big fluffy dogs find a home to call their own. Big Fluffy Dog Rescue works to save Great Pyrenees, Saint Bernards, Newfoundlands and their mixes from euthanasia.
- Leashes (all sizes)
- Martingale collars (medium, large, and x-large)
- Wire dog crates (large and x-large)
- Dog food (any size and flavor)
- Easy Walk harnesses
- Exercise pens
Westborough & ACE Central Massachusetts/Fitchburg Animal Shelter
ACE Central Massachusetts/Fitchburg Animal Shelter is a non-profit organization consisting of volunteers dedicated to the care of homeless and abused animals. They are committed to educating school children and families of Central Massachusetts about pet care responsibilities.
- Dog & cat dry food (natural)
- Canned cat and dog food
- Monthly flea and tick preventatives for cat and dog (topical and collar, such as Frontline or generic brand name)
- Litter pan powder freshener
- Cat carriers and pads
- 6’ leashes
- Martingale-style collars (all sizes)
- No-pull harnesses (all sizes)
- Tennis balls
- Kongs (all sizes)
- NylaBone toys and chews (all sizes)
- Pee pads
Monetary Donations Needed
1. Goal: section off an area in shelter to freely house felines rather than house them in cages. This will greatly reduce stress while in their care waiting for an adopter. The funds will be used 100% for material including lumber, windows, door and floor covering. Labor has been donated. Once complete, the area will be large enough to house 15 felines waiting for homes! Funds needed for project: $4,000.
2. Goal: to enhance kennel space per dog. They plan to create four kennels with multiple levels which will enrich their mental state while in their care. Funds needed: $2,000.
3. Goal: to replace all chain link kennel fronts with Plexi Glass in one building out of 14. This will reduce stress on the canine in waiting, providing a quieter kennel. Funds needed: $2,200.
4. Goal: to install 14 horse stall rubber mats in each kennel front. This will reduce stress on the canine body and provide increased warmth in the cold months. Funds needed: $600.